Dr. Joanne Intile, DVM, MS, DACVIM
Specialties: Veterinary oncology, veterinary journalism, pharmacology
Dr. Joanne Intile, DVM, MS, DACVIM, is a board-certified veterinary oncologist and a Spruce Pets veterinary review board member. She’s treated cancer in dogs, cats, horses, ferrets, rabbits, bearded dragons, sugar gliders, snakes, and turtles for nearly 15 years.
- Member of The Spruce Pets Veterinary Review Board
- 14 years experience as a veterinary oncologist
- Achieved board-certification in medical oncology by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in 2009
- Currently practices as Assistant Clinical Professor of Medical Oncology at North Carolina State University
- Certified Veterinary Journalist
- Formerly a private practice oncologist in Rochester, NY, Gaithersburg, MD, and Riverhead, NY, and adjunct faculty at Suffolk County Community College in their Veterinary Science Technology program
While working full time at her last clinic, Dr. Intile also worked as an adjunct instructor in the veterinary science technology program at Suffolk County Community College, teaching veterinary practice management, clinical laboratory procedures, and pharmacology. It was this experience that solidified Dr. Intile’s career goal of working in academia and she joined the faculty of the College of Veterinary Medicine at North Carolina State University in February 2017. There, she trains veterinary students, interns, and residents primarily in the discipline of medical oncology, but also plays a significant role in teaching medical communication skills.
A Word From Joanne Intile, DVM
“I've wanted to be a veterinarian since I was a little girl and first learned what they did for a living. Veterinary medicine is the perfect career, as it seamlessly blends my love of science and medicine with working with animals. After graduating from veterinary school, during my internship year, I was fortunate to work alongside an outstanding oncologist. I admired their intelligence, compassion, and the close bond they developed with pet owners. I was inspired by the resilience and carefree nature of the patients. This led to my decision to specialize in medical oncology. While there are sad moments, overall my job is highly rewarding because I provide owners with hope and their pets with extended quality of life. I am thrilled to work on the vet review board as I am passionate about providing pet owners with accurate and factual information about their pet's health and treatment options.”
Dr. Intile received her Doctor of Veterinary Medicine degree at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. She also completed a Small Animal Medicine and Surgery Rotating Internship at Long Island Veterinary Specialists in Plainview, New York.
AWARDS AND PUBLICATIONS
- Robert S. Brodey Memorial Award for outstanding clinical research project in oncology from the Veterinary Cancer Society
- Contributed chapters to the Clinical Veterinary Advisor: Dogs and Cats and several online chapters on various cancers in pets for the Veterinary Information Network, an online resource for veterinarians and veterinary students
- Featured as one of the “Daily Vet” bloggers on PetMD.com for over two years
- Currently contributes to an ever-growing database of client handouts on various topics in veterinary oncology found on the NC State Oncology webpage
About The Spruce Pets
The Spruce Pets, a Dotdash Meredith brand, is a new kind of pets website offering practical, real-life tips and training advice to help you care for your pet. The Spruce Pets reaches 10 million people each month. Learn more about us, our editorial process, and our commitment to ensuring we are providing you with the most trustworthy veterinarian advice.